How do I start a Home Occupation?

A home occupation is a business activity that is conducted at a residential dwelling by a person residing in the dwelling and is a secondary and incidental use of the dwelling as a residence. No home occupation may be conducted at a residential dwelling unless a home occupation permit or a land use permit has been issued. To determine what type of permit applies, click on the link below. A home occupation and land use may be obtained at the Department of Conservation and Development, Application and Permit Center on 30 Muir Road Martinez, CA 94553 Telephone: 925-655-2700. Once a permit is obtained, you can get a business license from the Treasurer-Tax Collector's Office-Business License Tax Division on 625 Court Street Martinez, CA 94553. Telephone: 925-957-5280

Home Occupations

Show All Answers

1. How high can I build my fence and/or retaining wall?
2. Do my neighbors need a tree permit to remove a tree? When do they need a permit and what is the process and timeline involved?
3. How do I start a Home Occupation?
4. What can be built or done to my property?
5. Where can I get a copy of the parcel map?
6. What type of structures do not require a permit?
7. How long does the permit process take?
8. Where can I obtain information on gas, water, or sanitation lines on my property?
9. What is green building and where can I find more information about green homes?
10. When is a permit required from Building Inspection?