Contra Costa County Public Works Road Closure & Sandbag Information
(Updated) January 3, 2023, Contra Costa County, CA - Contra Costa County Public Works has responded to close several roads due to flooding, mudslides and other issues. Below is the current status of roads in unincorporated Contra Costa County:
- Marsh Creek Road is closed between Deer Valley Road & Morgan Territory Road due to continued rock and mudslides. Only residents are allowed in the area. Please take alternate routes to avoid this area.
- Morgan Territory Road is closed between 5477-5649 Morgan Territory Road due to mudslides. Only residents are allowed in the area.
- Deer Valley Road is closed to all traffic in both directions between Briones Valley Road and Marsh Creek Road due to a sinkhole. Please take alternate routes to avoid this area.
- Highland Rd is closed between Collier Canyon Rd & Carneal Rd due to rock/mudslides. Only local traffic is allowed through the area as crews work to clear the road.
Please avoid these areas and limit traveling during stormy weather, unless necessary, due to localized flooding, downed trees, and hazardous situations. Do not attempt to cross flooded roads- driving, riding of walking. We also advise residents to stay out of the creeks and flood control channels.
- Collection and reporting of rain and stream gauge data from District gauges
For winter storm preparedness tips & resources-including flood forecasting tools: www.contracosta.ca.gov/5906/Winter-Storm-Preparedness
County Public Works Maintenance crews are assessing all County sandbag stations and will replenish sand and sandbags in anticipation of future storm events. Sand & sandbags are free, please bring a shovel. To find your nearest sandbag station visit: www.contracosta.ca.gov/sandbags
County Public Works Maintenance road crews maintain the storm drain inlets through a program of annual inspection and cleaning. To report a clogged catch basin or drainage inlet please call the Public Works Maintenance Division at 925-313-7000 during work hours and after hours call Sheriff’s Dispatch at 925-646-2441.
About Contra Costa County Public Works Department:
Contra Costa County Public Works Department (CCCPWD) maintains over 660 miles of roads, 150 miles of streams, channels and other drainage and over 150 County buildings throughout Contra Costa County. CCCPWD provides services such as Parks and Recreation, Sandbag Distribution and Flood Control throughout unincorporated areas of Contra Costa County. CCCPWD operates two airports, Buchanan Field Airport in Concord and Byron Airport in Byron. For more information about CCCPWD, please visit us at www.cccpublicworks.org
Contact: Kelly Kalfsbeek 925.313.2115, 925.723.2382