Stay hydrated and follow tips to stay cool and safe during hot weather. Check on infants, children, the elderly, and pets.
TIPS TO PREVENT heat-related symptoms:
- Drink water. Sip all day; do not wait until you are thirsty.
- Do not leave children or pets in vehicles.
- Limit physical activity and wear a hat outside, preferably with a wide brim.
- Keep shades drawn, and blinds closed.
- Open windows to cooling breezes in the evening.
See senior and community center locations in the County in Tips and Places to Cool (PDF). Vea Lugares para Refrescarse y Consejos (PDF),
You can also go to locations in the Bay Area with cooler temperatures or other locations with air conditioning. If you plan to visit the beach, exercise caution as there may be riptides. Practice water safety, including wearing life vests when swimming or boating.
See Contra Costa Health Services information on Heat and Your Health.
See information on wildfire preparedness and evacuation.
Register to get emergency alerts via cell phone, email, and/or landline with the Contra Costa County Community Warning System.
You can Prepare For A Power Outage (PDF), or see tips in Spanish Preparándose Para Un Apagón (PDF).