The Department of Conservation and Development (DCD) has an exciting career opportunity for experienced structural engineers. Applications are being accepted to fill two (2) full-time permanent vacancy located in Martinez, CA.
The Building Inspection division is primarily responsible for issuance of building permits, inspections during construction and code enforcement. You will be working in permit issuance, primarily doing structural reviews for compliance to building codes.
The work is exciting as all different types of structures are reviewed by the county. The work atmosphere is conducive to continuous learning.
We are looking for someone who is:
- Well-versed in Civil Engineering - you will be specifically working on structural engineering;
- Experienced in structural design of buildings with an emphasis in seismic design and using a variety of material – You will work on structural designs that require an understanding of seismic design;
- A strong communicator – You will be working with other County Departments and external stakeholders that require you to communicate effectively with them;
- Willing to learn – You will be assigned and working on projects that may be unfamiliar and need to adapt quickly to learning about them;
- A team player – You will be working with internal and external stakeholders on meeting mutual goals and interests.
What you will typically be responsible for:
- Reviewing plans, calculations and specifications of wood, masonry, concrete and steel residential, commercial and industrial structures;
- Providing guidance as the technical advisor on structural problems and code requirements;
- Responding to structural inquiries concerning ordinances and departmental policies to internal/external stakeholders;
- Reviewing the work of field personnel to maintain consistency in interpreting and enforcing code requirements
- Assessing legal violations and taking appropriate actions for the situation
A few reasons you might love this job:
- You will be checking a vast variety of projects.
- You will be working in a professional, friendly and cooperative atmosphere.
- You will have the opportunity to learn building codes thoroughly.
****OPEN UNTIL FILLED****
****This recruitment may close at any time, qualified candidates are encouraged to apply immediately****