See locations in Contra Costa County to cool off during high heat. According to state guidelines, masks are required for everyone in cooling centers.
Contra Costa County Libraries
See 20 library locations available as cooling centers. Visit ccclib.org for addresses and hours of operation, or call 1-800-984-4636 for assistance.
Antioch, Prewett in Antioch, Bay Point, Brentwood, Clayton, Concord, Danville, El Sobrante, Hercules, Lafayette, Martinez, Moraga, Oakley, Orinda, Pinole, Pittsburg, San Pablo, Dougherty Station in San Ramon, San Ramon, and Walnut Creek Library locations.
TIPS TO PREVENT heat-related symptoms:
- Drink water. Sip all day; do not wait until you are thirsty.
- Do not leave children or pets in vehicles.
- Limit physical activity and wear a hat outside, preferably with a wide brim.
- Keep shades drawn, and blinds closed, but windows should be slightly open.
- Open windows to cooling breezes in the evening.
See Cooling Tips to Survive Summer Heat (PDF). Vea Consejos para sobrevivir el calor (PDF).
High temperatures can cause serious health problems. See Contra Costa Health Services information on Heat and Your Health.
You can also go to locations in the Bay Area with cooler temperatures or other locations with air conditioning. If you plan to visit the beach, exercise caution as there may be riptides.