The National Weather Service has issued a Heat Advisory through, October 2, until 8 pm. The California ISO has issued a flex alert for today, requesting energy conservation during peak hours from 3 pm to 10 pm, if possible. See places to cool, beat the heat tips, and energy conservation tips below.
Places to Cool From the Heat:
Antioch, Brentwood, Concord, and Pleasant Hill all have places to cool from the heat.
- Brentwood Community Center, 35 Oak Street, Brentwood. Call for hours at 925-516-5444.
- Concord Senior Center, 2727 Parkside Circle, Concord. Open October 1, 2020, from 1 pm to 6 pm.
The County’s Employment and Human Services Department (EHSD) has a location to cool. Please note that during the COVID-19 shelter in place, EHSD’s regular programs and services are NOT currently available at these offices.
Open through Friday, October 2, from 1 pm to 5 pm:
- EHSD Office, 4545 Delta Fair Blvd., Antioch
- EHSD Office, 400 Ellinwood Way, Pleasant Hill
Social distancing and face-covering requirements are in place at all locations. Capacity may be limited to comply with County health orders. Community members should NOT go to any of these places to cool off if they have been exposed to or are exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19, or if they have been ordered to quarantine. All visitors to EHSD offices will be asked screening questions before they can enter the buildings.
TIPS TO PREVENT heat-related symptoms:
- Drink water. Sip all day; do not wait until you are thirsty.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeinated beverages, sugary soft drinks, and full-strength fruit juices.
- Limit physical activity and wear a hat outside, preferably with a wide brim.
- Keep shades drawn, and blinds closed, but windows should be slightly open.
- Open windows to cooling breezes in the evening.
See Beat the Heat Tips (PDF).
WAYS TO CONSERVE ENERGY:
- Pre-cool your home overnight or early morning to 72 degrees
- Keep A/C at 78 degrees during peak hours
- Keep your shades closed
- Avoid the use of major appliances during peak hours
- Turn off all unnecessary lights and unplug unnecessary electronics
Please conserve energy during peak times. See more Conservation Tips. See PG&E website to update your contact information for notification of outages.
You can Prepare For A Power Outage (PDF) or in Spanish Preparándose Para Un Apagón (PDF)