Bay Area Test Site (BATS)
...Accelerating UAS Innovation
The Contra Costa County Airports Division (CCAD) is proactively promoting our airports (Buchanan Field and Byron) and services to attract aviation emerging innovation and technology businesses at BATS. Buchanan Field is in a dense suburban environment and Byron Airport is in a rural environment. Together these airfields offer businesses a unique opportunity to design, develop, and test in both environments in the heart of the Bay Area.
In coordination with the University of Alaska Fairbanks and the Pan-Pacific Unmanned Aerial System Test Range Complex (PPUTRC), Contra Costa County Airports are official Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) unmanned aerial system (UAS) test sites in the United States.
To test at Buchanan Field and Byron Airport, please contact Director of Airports Keith Freitas at 844-359-8687 and/or email the UAS Test Information Form to firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure your testing operation is compliant with BATS. Upon verification, testers may coordinate with the University to secure all necessary FAA airspace and flight operation authorizations. To complete the process, each tester will need to execute a Temporary Use Permit with Contra Costa County and, if needed, a Memorandum of Agreement with the University of Alaska.
- Bay Area Test Site (UAS)
- Pan-Pacific UAS Test Range Complex
- Test Site Documents
- BATS TeSTING Operations
Bay Area Test Site (BATS)
Many companies operating in the Bay Area are developing UAS technologies and products that need aviation testing and development environments. These companies have been traveling to remote locations or out of state to perform testing because of the restricted and crowded nature of the Bay Area airspace and neighborhoods. BATS solves this acute problem by providing two welcoming aviation-testing sites in close proximity to San Francisco and Silicon Valley.
- Location, Location, Location: Buchanan Field and Byron Airports are located just 30 miles from downtown San Francisco and 50 miles from Silicon Valley, providing businesses with close-to-home locations for their employees. Easy access is available via BART and freeways.
- Airspace: Two different aviation testing environments allow businesses to grow in place: Buchanan Field is an FAA controlled airfield in Class D Airspace and Byron Airport is an uncontrolled airfield in Class G Airspace, going up to 700 feet.
- Facilities: Both airports have a selection of offices, workshops and hangars available for short-term and long-term lease.
- Services: There are full-service aviation providers at the two facilities that include pilot training, aircraft rental, aircraft maintenance, avionics, fabrication, aircraft storage, fuel, and other specialty aviation services.
- Positive FAA Relationships: We have strong relationships and a proven track record with the Federal Aviation Administration and will eagerly assist companies to acquire the required operational and/or airspace permits/waivers.
- Business Forward: Support at the County’s highest political level, staff concierge service, numerous support service options readily available, short and long term leases, and flexibility to grow and move between facilities.
Pan-Pacific UAS Test Range Complex (PPUTRC)
The Pan-Pacific UAS Test Range Complex is one of six official FAA test sites in the United States and includes BATS. The PPUTRC spans seven climate zones, allowing UAS manufacturers and potential users to test their equipment in the Arctic, the tropics, and in arid environments. Managed by the University of Alaska Fairbanks, the test site builds upon ongoing work of the Geophysical Institute’s Alaska Center for Unmanned Aircraft Systems Integration (ACUASI).
The University of Alaska Fairbanks provides the expertise and process to complete the necessary FAA airspace and flight operations authorizations for UAS airspace testing including associated fee(s) for acquiring a Certificate of Authorization. More information may be found on the University of Alaska Fairbanks website here.
- UAS Test Information Form (PDF)
- Contra Costa County Temporary Use Permit for UAS Testing Sample (PDF)
- Alaska Test Site Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) Sample (PDF)
- Byron Airport Part 107 UAS Operating Box (JPG)
- Buchanan Field Airport One Page Brochure (JPG)
- Buchanan Field Airport Development Map (PDF)
- Byron Airport One Page Brochure (JPG)
- Byron Airport Development Map (PDF) @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>