To learn more about fostering a shelter animal, visit the Animal Foster Programs page.
For all other CCAS volunteer opportunities, follow the instructions below to get started.
1. To join the CCAS Volunteer Program, submit an online Volunteer Application. When completing your application, you will be asked to select a date for your Day One training, which is where your journey will begin. Applicants will receive automated email reminders in the week leading up to the selected training date, and any scheduling changes and/or reminders will be communicated via email. Day One training space is limited, and due to changing Covid-19 recommendations, training sessions are subject to cancellation.
2. Before attending Day One Training, review the CCAS Volunteer Manual(PDF). The following items will need to be signed and/or submitted on the day of your scheduled Day One Training:
- Pg 20 - Acknowledgement form
- Pg 24 - County Volunteer Registration (do not include SSN)
- Pg 26 – County Auto Insurance Declaration page
- Pg 31 – County Internet Usage Agreement
- Provide a copy of your current CA Driver’s License or ID
- Provide a copy of your current Vehicle Insurance policy and/or insurance card
- Provide proof of Covid vaccination
3. Attend Day One Training. This is a 2-hr classroom training session, which provides the foundation for all shelter volunteer positions and instructions to complete your training and volunteer onboarding. Upon completion of Day One Training, you will be granted access to the volunteer portal, and you will have everything needed to start volunteering!
4. The amount of training required, and the time to complete training, varies depending upon the assignment you are interested in. Some volunteer assignments are available immediately (Foundation Assignments), while others require additional training and shadow sessions with a mentor volunteer (Core Assignments). Learn more about the many ways in which you can help our shelter animals by visiting our Volunteer Opportunities page.
Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for more details.