- On this page you can get some general information on the Glassy-Winged Sharpshooter and some updated information on Contra Costa County's current Sharpshooter status.
- On the identification page you can find valuable information on identifying the insect as well as pictures and videos that will help in identifying the Sharpshooters behavior.
- The concerns page will contain information on how devastating the sharpshooter can be, what crops and ornamental plants they can destroy, and other problems caused by the Sharpshooter.
The Glassy-Winged Sharpshooter is a serious threat to California's agriculture. The Sharpshooter is native to the southeastern United States, but was probably introduced to California around 1990. The insect currently infests most of southern California and some of Butte, Fresno, Imperial, Kern Sacramento, Santa Barbra, Santa Clara, and Tulare counties. If you wish to see a map of California that shows infested and partially infested counties then you can go to CDFA's Glassy-Winged Sharpshooter Distribution Page. In the partially infested counties eradication measures are being taken. In southern California limited releases of a particular wasp in the genus Gonatocerus is being used to help control the populations of the Sharpshooter. This is a type of biological control. This wasp will parasitize only 10 to 50% of the eggs of the Sharpshooter during the first egg laying season, but it can kill up to 100% of the second generation.
What Should I Do If I Find Sharpshooter Eggs Nymphs or Adults?
If you find any traces of the sharpshooter you should notify your local county's Department of Agriculture.
In Contra Costa County the phone number is (925) 608-6600
If you live near Concord and can drop off a sample we are located at
2380 Bisso Lane Suite A
Concord, CA 94520
Or if you are near Knightsen, the field office is located at:
3020 Second Street
Knightsen, CA 94548
(corner of Second and Delta Road)
Their phone number is (925) 427-8610
Anywhere else in California you can call the California Department of Food and Agriculture hotline at 800-491-1899.
- California Department of Food and Agriculture - GWSS
- University of California Integrated Pest Management
- California Association of Wine Growers
- UC Agriculture and Natural Resources